Saturday, December 20, 2014

Michelle Phan - "Make Up" Book Review


Ho Ho Ho....Merry Christmas! Not quite, but in just in a few more days and we will have made it! As it get's closer to Christmas (or whatever you may celebrate) it start's to get colder as well. What more perfect time to wrap up in a nice warm blanket or sit by a fire and read a book. 

Not just any book, but a book that in my opinion every woman should have; Michelle Phan Makeup - Your Life Guide to Beauty, Style, and Success Online and Off! Why should you own this book? Rather you're a beginner putting on skincare or makeup products for the first time today or a makeup artist, this book is useful for every woman. Even if you don't like makeup, this book contains everything. From skincare to how find a job you will find at least one chapter that pertains to where you are at in life!

(click to enlarge any of the pictures, please ask my permission before taking any of my photo's.)

How cute is the inside of this book? 

Who is Michelle Phan?



If your not sure who Michelle Phan is then you are missing out on knowing who I look up to everyday, and one of the many things that inspires me to write this blog. She not only is a Youtube Guru (check her video's out here: https://www.youtube.com/user/MichellePhan), but is the co-founder of the popular monthly beauty subscription service Ipsy (to read more about Ipsy reviews I have done either search Ipsy in the search bar at the bottom of the page or go here for a recent one: http://amyballou.blogspot.com/2014/11/ipsy-november-2014.html). 




In the book "Make Up," you will learn more about her life including her parent's struggle and about how she grew up. I won't ruin it for you, but it truly is inspiring to learn that she is not much different from most of us. 


One of the most interesting facts in reading about her life, is finding out that her Anime (Japanease animation) paintings is what lead her to start her online video's. 

The Contents


After you learn about her life and where she is today. It goes into the next section of the book which is about Skin Care. Some of the thing's she talks about I knew, but some of them I didn't. This was really intriguing since I thought I knew just about everything their was to learn about skin care. 


I like how she includes easy everyday recipes or tips that she uses. Such as this one seen above about exfoliating your lips.


After she talks about skincare we get into the Makeup portion of the book, which was really fascinating to me. No matter what level you are at with your knowledge on makeup it speaks to everyone.



From what type of foundation is best for your face to what shape face you have. I found it interesting that knowing your face shape has a lot to do with how your makeup should be applied. Knowing just these few things, has helped me apply my makeup better.



After the makeup section she goes into hair and nails. I love this section especially, because it helps teach you better techniques at taking care of your hair along with how to give yourself the perfect manicure at home.


Fashion Tips & Tricks is great for knowing how to pair the clothing you already have together.


Digital Dos and Don'ts is rather comical but tells it like it is, and is a section every person who is on the internet or sends text messages should read!


Find (and keep) a Job you Love is a very useful section and even includes samples of a cover letter and resume, along with tips on how to nail an interview.


Turn your Passion into a Profession teaches how to be a boss and not being afraid of failure.


Then the last section of the book, "Modern Manners Made Easy" teaches proper table manners, when your invited to a party, writing thank-you notes and e-mails, and overall how to conduct yourself in everyday life.

This is now what I call my "beauty bible." I always find myself picking it up, and looking for something in it I need to know. If you wish to purchase this book (hard cover) it retail's for $23.00. However, I have seen it online lately (via Amazon) for $13.80 which you can purchase here: Buy MICHELLE PHAN'S Book. I think this price is more than fair for the amount of useful content you receive.

I want to know.... What do you think about the book? Do you know who Michelle Phan is? If not do you think this would be something that is useful to you? Feel free to leave your questions and comments below. I love hearing your feedback! 

Until next time, Remember to STAY BEAUTIFUL by STAYING YOU! XOXO ~ Amy

Free product disclosure

2 comments: